8 Signs of Feeling Overwhelmed
We all feel overwhelmed at times. But when you can’t get rid of that feeling, it can lead to chronic stress as well as physical and emotional symptoms that can affect your well-being. Here are 8 signs you’re at your limit:
1. Irrational thoughts: You may struggle to think rationally, which can make the problem seem inflated and your perceived ability to deal with it feel deflated.
2. Paralysis: You may experience a freeze response that can cause you to feel paralysed and unable to function. Even simple tasks can feel impossible. You may find yourself postponing stressful tasks, or avoid them altogether.
3. Disproportionate reactions: You may overreact to minor stressors. For instance, you may panic if you’re unable to find your keys.
4. Withdrawal: You may find yourself withdrawing from friends and family. You may feel like they can’t help you or understand what you’re going through.
5. Pessimism: You may feel helpless and hopeless about the situation.
6. Mood changes: You may feel angry, irritable, or anxious, and cry easily.
7. Cognitive fatigue: You may feel confused and have difficulty concentrating, making decisions, and solving problems.
8. Physical symptoms: You may experience physical symptoms such as rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, cramps, an upset stomach, or other aches and pains.